Park/Green Space Login
Belfast City Council
Musgrave Park was presented to Belfast Corporation (now Belfast City Council) in 1921 by Henry Musgrave, who lived nearby. Before the Park opened, 250 labourers landscaped it as part of a local unemployment scheme. Lady Edith Dixon (who later gave Dixon Park to Belfast) officially opened Musgrave Park in 1924.
The bowling green and putting green opened in 1926. During WW2, allotments where established and the iron railings were removed and melted down for scrap metal for the war effort. In the 1970s the eastern corner of Musgrave was sectioned off for horticultural apprentices. This area known as Grovelands, is renowned for its attractive gardens. Today Musgrave Park has new playing fields which St Brigid's Gaelic Athletic Club helps to manage. The park also contains a Highway to Health walk to encourage visitors to improve their health through enjoyable exercise. New Community allotments and a community garden are due to open in the spring of 2012. Phase 1 of our sensory garden was completed in 2010 and phase 2 was completed in September 2011, this contains a range of sensory planting and sensory play equipment, suitable for use by children of all abilities.